PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING:
- Make sure to read this page IN FULL and familiarize yourself with our program and the review criteria posted below. Failure to do so will result in a lower score.
- If you have not passed a Core Track audition by the application deadline, or your class results have expired, your application will not be considered. No exceptions.
- The NBC/UNIVERSAL Writing Lab Scholarship is only for students who have completed The Groundlings Core Track. Do not apply for this award if you have not taken a Groundlings class.
Frequently Asked Questions:
There is no specific audition for the scholarship, however, you must pass an audition with the School, and therefore be eligible to take Core Track classes, before your application will be considered (exceptions are made for teen applicants). You can schedule your free audition by clicking here. New audition dates are posted every Monday at 1 pm.
Your application will not be considered. Please apply for the next round of scholarships.
If you are enrolled at the time of your application and do not know what level you are applying for, we ask that you wait to apply the next round, after your current class has ended.
Diversity scholarships are offered every three months. All applicants will receive notification via email approximately four weeks after the application deadline.
We award scholarships for Core Track (Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced Improv) and Performance Track (Writers' Lab and Advanced Writers’ Lab), and Teen classes only. We do not offer scholarships for Intro to Improv, Workshops A or B, WOWs, Power WOWs, or specialty classes.
Please review our diversity statement above for more information. We are currently focusing on diversifying our student body from a racial and cultural standpoint, though we are open to receiving applications from anyone who considers themselves a strong candidate.
Please note that in your application and it will be processed accordingly.
Most awards are for half the cost of a Core Track class, which enable us to offer them to more students. If you feel you cannot contribute at all to the cost of the class, you may want to consider applying once your circumstances change. Please share your circumstances with us in your application. Full scholarships for Writing Lab are provided via a new partnership with NBC/Universal (see below).
All applicants will receive notification via email approximately four weeks after the application deadline.
The Groundlings School is actively seeking to diversify its student population. With that in mind, applications are reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Does the applicant attempt to thoughtfully and fully answer each question?
- Do they state clear goals?
- Do they convey a sincere desire to train at The Groundlings?
- Do they articulate why they want to train at The Groundlings?
- Do they demonstrate an understanding or appreciation for improv, especially at the Groundlings?
- Do they speak from a perspective or point of view that is unique to them?
NBCUniversal/Groundlings Writing Lab Scholarship:
The Groundlings Theatre and School is pleased to partner with NBCUniversal’s Talent Infusion Programs on developing and supporting diverse talent. Beginning June 1, 2016 diverse Groundlings students who are eligible for the Writing Lab level will be able to apply for the NBCUniversal/Groundlings Writing Lab Scholarship. Two recipients will receive full tuition for their Writing Lab course, sponsored by NBCUniversal. These scholarships will be available quarterly.
Writing Lab scholarships are available ONLY to existing students who have passed Advanced Improv. Students who receive this scholarship must enroll in Writing Lab within 6 months. Do not apply for this scholarship if you have never taken a Groundlings class.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A GROUNDLINGS DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP. Application deadline: Friday, November 16, 4:00 pm. Any applications submitted after that time will not be considered. No exceptions.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.